His research has been mainly focused on psychological contract and exchange relationships in organizations (commitment, trust and perceived organizational support), membership and temporal matters in work teams, early retirement and psychological well-being, and conflict resolution and mediation in higher education.
He has conducted several research projects granted and funded by the Spanish Ministry of Education and the Agency of Education and Science of Madrid Regional Government. Also he is member of research teams composed by researchers of Spanish Universities (Autónoma de Madrid, Carlos III de Madrid, Complutense de Madrid, Nacional de Educación a Distancia, País Vasco, Almería, etc.) and European Universities (Università di Bologna).
In addition, he has conducted several research projects and studies funded by public institutions as well as private organizations. Currently, he coordinates the Research Group IN-PSITRO (Research in Work and Organizational Psychology), along with other members of Social Psychology Unit of the Department of Psychology.
During his academic and research career, he has participated actively in a number of national conferences and congresses (for instance, National Congress of Social Psychology, in the last six editions), and international meetings and congresses (EAWOP Congress, ECP, ICAP, ENOHE Annual Conference, etc.), where he has presented more than sixty oral communications and speeches, and coordinated several symposia.
He has published books and handbooks like author, co-author and coordinator in several well-known editorials (for instance, Introducción a la Psicología del Trabajo, 2004, McGraw-Hill; Técnicas grupales en contextos organizacionales, Pirámide, 2004; Introducción a la Psicología de las Organizaciones, 2003, Alianza Editorial; or Introducción a la Psicología de los Grupos, 1999, Pirámide).
He has also published a number of papers in both Spanish and international journals indexed in the Journal Citation Reports (Psicothema, The Spanish Journal of Psychology, European Psychologist, Journal of Vocational Behavior, Social Science Information, Work and Stress, European Journal of Psychological Assessment), as well as in journals well-known in the field of organizational behavior (Journal of Managerial Psychology, Career Development International, Revista de Psicología del Trabajo y de las Organizaciones, Revista de Psicología Social, etc.).
In addition, he acts as member of editorial boards of Spanish and Portuguese journals (Revista de Psicología del Trabajo y de las Organizaciones, spaço S – Revista de Investigação e Intervenção Social), and he has served as ad hoc reviewer of some journals as Journal of Business and Psychology, Psicothema, The Spanish Journal of Psychology, among others.
He is since 2003 until now University Ombudsman at Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, working actively in several committees and activities of national and European range.
- Alcover, C. Mª., Crego, A., Guglielmi, D., and Chiesa, R. “Comparison between the Spanish and Italian early work retirement models: a cluster analysis approach.” Personnel Review Nº 41, Vol. 3 (in press).
- Camblor, Mª. P., and Alcover, C. Mª.,“The everyday concept of trust in international cooperation environments”. Revista de Psicología Social (in press).
- Topa, G., Moriano, J. A., Depolo, M., Alcover, C. Mª., and Moreno, A. “Retirement and wealth relationships: Meta-analysis and SEM”. Research on Aging Nº 33, Vol. 5: 501-528 (September 2011).
- Chambel, Mª. J., and Alcover, C. Mª. “Psychological contract of call-centers workers: working conditions, satisfaction and civic virtue behaviour.” Economic and Industrial Democracy nº 32, Vol. 1 (February 2011): 115-134.
- Rico, R., Alcover, C. Mª., and Tabernero, C.“Efectividad de los equipos de trabajo: una revisión de la última década de investigación (1999-2009).” Revista de Psicología del Trabajo y de las Organizaciones Nº 26, Vol. 1 (April 2010): 27-41.
- Alcover, C. Mª. "Ombudsing in Higher Education: A contingent model for mediation in university dispute resolution processes." The Spanish Journal of Psychology 12 (1): 275-287 (May 2009).
- Rico, R., Alcover, C. Mª. , Sánchez-Manzanares, M., & Gil, F. "The joint relationships of communication behaviors and task interdependence on trust development and change in virtual project teams." Social Science Information Nº 48, Vol. 2 (June 2009): 229-255.
- Topa, G., Moriano, J. A., Depolo, M., Alcover, C. Mª., and Morales, J. F. "Antecedents and Consequences of Retirement Planning and Decision Making A Meta-Analysis and Model." Journal of Vocational Behavior Nº 75, Vol. 1 (March 2009): 37-55.
- Crego, A., Alcover, C. Mª. , and Martínez-Íñigo, D. "The transition process to post-working life and its psychosocial outcomes: A systematic analysis of Spanish early retirees’ discourse." Career Development International 13 (2): 186-204 (2008).
- Martínez-Íñigo, D., Totterdell, P., Alcover, C. Mª. , and Holman, D. "Emotional labour and emotional exhaustion: The mediational role of interpersonal and intrapersonal mechanisms." Work and Stress 21 (1): 30-47 (2007).
- Alcover, C. Mª. , Martínez-Íñigo, D. & Zambrano, Z. "Efectos de las oportunidades de incorporación al mercado laboral sobre el desarrollo del contrato psicológico y las actitudes hacia el trabajo: el caso de trabajadores con discapacidad en el sector de call/contact centers." Psicologia (Revista de la Associação Portuguesa de Psicología) 21: 151-176 (2007).
- Alcover, C. Mª. , and Crego, A. "Factores implicados en la decisión de retiro laboral temprano: aproximaciones desde el análisis del discurso de una muestra de prejubilados españoles." Revista de Psicología Social Aplicada 15: 133-163 (2005).